Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Creepy Internet Scavenger Hunt

Searching on the internet is a super useful thing that almost everyone uses in their everyday lives. But do we really think about how powerful this innovation really is? I can guarantee that almost anyone who has ever been on the internet can be found through thorough enough research. I got to experience the scariness that is the search function online. Let's discuss what I was able to find out:


  • 3 of the Tacoma Chickadee's favorite bands, I've never even heard of the Tacoma Chickadee's and I was able to find their favorite bands...creepy. 
  • It took me 45 seconds to find an entire trip to Disneyland in Hawaii for a 3 adults and 3 children, flight and hotel included. 45 seconds and it's no joke, that's how powerful the internet is and that's not even scratching the surface. 
  • How about houses for sale? I was able to find two houses in University Place, Tacoma on two different sites in under 5 minutes and get directions to them from downtown Tacoma.
  • There are also many, many sites for dating. Due to the internet and advertisements I was able to list three dating websites not named EHarmony off the top of my head, Farmeronly.com anyone?
  • Another thing I was able to find was Financial Reports I've never heard of in about 30 seconds, thanks to Google. If you have a company, I can probably find you. 
  • While I was not able to find it in a quick enough time but there were a couple students in the class that found the married name of the middle sister of the teacher without knowing anything about her.
So overall my experience was what I expected it to be, a reminder of how powerful the search feature is on the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment